[meta-intel] (no subject)

Richard Liu richard.wliu at gmail.com
Sun May 26 22:57:18 PDT 2019

Hi, every experts,

I am a newbie for yocto,

My hardware info:
CPU:  Intel-Atom (E3845) w/ BayTrail SoC
Memory: 8G
SSD:120G

My device is a network device,  I had build the system with a ubuntu
generic kernel and ubuntu-base rootfs. the `uname -a` info:
Linux IPS 4.13.0-36-generic #40~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 16 23:25:58 UTC
2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

now I need to modify some kernel code, so i must build the kernel by myself.
 i refer to this link:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/software-overview/layers/bsps/rocko-24-bay-trail-valley-island/

Follow this instructions, i have get the  kernel img,  but  i have some
question to ask for you:

Q1: why I must set the MACHINE to“intel-corei7-64”?  my cpu is atom E3845
Soc, not i7, if i set it to intel-core i7, dose the kernel can do best
performance?  I just want to build a kernel for atom(not for i7).  In my
opinion, generic kernel is not as good as customization kernel.

Q2:  What is the latest version of the kernel supported for Atom E3845, can
you give me the refer link?  in the former refer link, the kernel version
is 4.14.18, can i modify it to 5.0?

Q3: I found that the kernel code was retrieved from
https://github.com/intel/linux-intel-lts.git,  is there any difference
bettween intel kernel (geted from  github.com/intel/linux-intel-lts.git)
and official kernel(download from www.kernel.org)?

Q4:  what is the difference between these branch ?
(root at BUILD-Server:/home/work/yocto/yocto_build/tmp/work-shared/intel-corei7-64/kernel-source#
git branch -a)
4.14/base
4.14/base-yocto

Looking forward to your reply, thank you.

Best Regards,
richard