[meta-intel] meta-mono build boot kernel panic

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Sep 25 15:42:34 PDT 2017

Hi Eddy,

On Saturday, 23 September 2017 8:07:41 PM NZDT Lai Eddy wrote:
> I have build and boot successfully the core-image-minial with
> MACHINE = "intel-corei7-64"
>
> but after I add according to
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-mono/about/?h=daisy
> IMAGE_INSTALL += " mono mono-helloworld"
> (also with bblayers.conf changed correctly)
>
> build core-image-mono and then boot failed with panic:
>  switch_root: can't execute '/sbin/init': No such file or directory
>  Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I think what's most likely happening here is that your IMAGE_INSTALL += is
actually overriding the value because a statement parsed later that sets the
default value of IMAGE_INSTALL is doing it with ?=, and since the value was
already set it doesn't include any of the defaults. You can confirm this by
using bitbake -e your-image | less and searching (with / ) to find
^IMAGE_INSTALL - above that line you will find the history of how the variable
got set. If that is the problem, use IMAGE_INSTALL_append, or better still
create your own custom image recipe and then you can completely specify the
value of IMAGE_INSTALL.

Cheers,
Paul

--