[meta-intel] RFC to migrate meta-intel/meta-isg -> meta-intel-isg

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Mar 11 00:13:43 PST 2016

> On 10 Mar 2016, at 17:48, Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>

> Folks,
>
> Currently the meta-intel repo contains a sub-layer called meta-isg
> which holds a small number of older BSP and a set of Intel specific
> software.
>
> The BSPs, haswell, valleyisland, crystalforest and mohonpeak, are all
> using the intel-core* BSPs as appropriate with kernel versions varying
> from 3.14 -> 4.1. Any new BSPs should continue to use intel-core* BSPs
> with the slight chance that additional kernel cmdline options might be
> required.
>
> The additional Intel specific software is DPDK, QAT, Zlib-QAT and
> OpenSSL-QAT, these are specific to certain Intel hardware and not
> general.
>
> The ISG (IoTG) team maintaining the meta-isg layer would like to add
> more current graphics than allowed by the Yocto Project's stable rules,
> which states no updates in stable, unless needed for urgent CVE issues.
>
> I would like to hear from the various users of meta-intel and meta-
> intel/meta-isg about moving meta-isg into it's own repo that would be
> named meta-intel-isg and meta-intel-isg-bsp to distinguish between the
> sofware and the BSPs.  The hope is that most of the BSP configuration
> will come from the meta-intel BSPs to reduce fragmentation. Only
> special cases will land in the isg-bsp layer.  Most changes should come
> in via linux-yocto kernel repo and via intel-core* BSPS.
>
> Thoughts?

This sounds sensible.

What are the implications to users? For example, I currently build for a valleyisland platform - will I need to do anything moving forward other that switch to a new layer (ignoring the normal consequential changes due to kernel updates, etc.)?

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!