[meta-intel] [meta-java]: kernel modules are missing after integrate java support in baytrail bsp.

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 6 07:14:15 PST 2016

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 08:02 +0000, Ramajayam, Yugeraj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently I am trying to enable java support for valleyisland-32
> bsp(core-image-sato image option).
>
> I have followed all the Usage Instructions as mentioned in the meta-
> java About page.
> I have also created a ./meta-netcontiki/recipes-sato/images/core-
> image-sato.bbappend with the following content in it:
>

> IMAGE_INSTALL = "busybox modutils-initscripts initscripts opkg udev
> sysvinit netbase base-files base-passwd \
>                  ${ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE_BOOTSTRAP}
> ${CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL} \
>                  openjdk-8 openjre-8 \
>                  strace dropbear binutils \
>                  classpath \
>                  classpath-common \
>                  classpath-examples \
>                  classpath-tools \
>                  "

I think part of your problem might be that you are over-riding the
IMAGE_INSTALL variable in your core-image-sato.bbappend, I think you
should be using CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = here instead and
allow the system to properly select what is part of the base install.

Remember to use a leading space when using the _append, if I remember
correctly this is one of the few places that += does not really behave
the way you want it.

> The java build process is fine. The build process never returned any
> error message and the image boots up fine.
>
> I noticed another strange issue here. I was not able to execute
> commands such as $ ifconfig and  $ lsmod.
> Even the spidev0.0 is missing in /dev/ directory.
>
> After spending some time root causing this issue, I noticed that some
> driver files and modules are missing in /lib directory.
> A standard valleyisland-32 bsp without java have the following
> components in /lib/modules/3.14.39ltsi-yocto-standard/kernel :
> arch     crypto   drivers  fs       lib      net      sound
>
> But, upon enabling java support, the /lib/modules/3.14.39ltsi-yocto-
> standard/kernel path has only :
> net
>
> I also noticed the /sys directory for bsp with java enabled seems to
> be empty.
>
> I integrated java (openjdk-7-jre) into Quark BSP sometime back, the
> image is working fine. No such flaw as mentioned above.
>
> I have spent some time looking into this issue but I am clueless.
> Am I missing any settings or configurations? Please guide me.

Try what I suggest above and then we can go from there.

Sau!