[meta-intel] Why meta-intel never specify the Intel-SNA as a primary Xorg driver in common folder ?

Ahmad, Mohd Azril mohd.azril.ahmad at intel.com
Wed Apr 15 02:58:07 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a concern on why meta-intel never specify the correct Xorg config (xorg.conf) to utilize the Intel-SNA driver (xf86-video-intel) in the meta-intel common folder ?

I noticed that most of the time I downloaded meta-intel and build the image with a default "intel-core" machine, it doesn't give any xorg.conf inside to load Intel-SNA as a primary driver for MatchBox.

I know that X11 will find an additional software rendering driver to replace it (such as VESA or fbdev) but why not xf86-video-intel ? since majority of platform type under meta-intel is using i915 as a primary Kernel DRM driver except for meta-crownbay and meta-emenlow which requires EMGD.

There's a scenario happen on my side when I manually booted up the MatchBox by specifying "intel" in the xorg.conf, the display blanks on certain resolutions under my CherryHill Braswell system but this doesn't happen on other VESA or fbdev module.

I guess since Intel-SNA (xf86-video-intel) is not been turned on by default, we might skip the compatibility/quality checking and there's a possibility to miss out the driver's defect ?

By the way, due the above issue, I have no choice but to specify the xorg.conf with "intel" into the common folder as per link below :
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-contrib/commit/?h=azril/update-meta-intel&id=3ace6afa4ab16250159e6bcd2ee109e2c9a50151

Please do advise .. thanks :)

Regards,
Azril