[meta-intel] Xrandr support on CrownBay with EMGD

Chad Bishop Chad.Bishop at ravenind.com
Mon Dec 23 10:18:06 PST 2013

Hello meta-intel team,

We have a usecase for screen rotation at runtime.   We are building for crownbay using Dylan 1.4.2.

We have attempted to use libxrandr and then the xrandr command line utility directly in order to get the screen to rotate 90 degrees at runtime.

We are able to configure the xorg.conf to rotate the screen 90 degrees at boot but haven't had any luck at runtime.  The xorg.conf was generated by CED and unmodified.  We only added the rotation parameter to test a difference in behavior at boot / restarting X.

The EMGD user guide states :

2.2.5Rotation

Rotation is the ability to rotate the display for the Intel® Embedded Media and Graphics Driver. Rotation support includes 0°, 90°, 180°, 270°. Rotation is supported only on the following chipsets using Windows* XP, and Linux* operating systems:

*Intel® Atom(tm) Processor E6xx

*Intel® System Controller Hub US15W/US15WP/WPT chipset
Note:Rotation is not supported with the VBIOS. Rotation

In general, should we expect rotation to work via xrandr?

Or should we be using another interface?

Should we be modifying our xorg.conf outside of CED to support this capability?

I plead ignorance.

Thank you for your help in this matter,
Chad Bishop

This message and attachment(s) may contain confidential and/or
privileged information.  Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution
or reliance on any content of this message by anyone other than
the addressee is prohibited.  If received in error, please advise
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.