[meta-freescale] Vivante graphics driver

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Mon Oct 28 06:38:27 PDT 2019

Hello Andy,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 7:16 AM Andy Pont <andy.pont at sdcsystems.com> wrote:
> What is the difference between the “Vivante GCCore” driver
> (CONFIG_DRM_VIVANTE) available in the 4.14.x kernel and the galcore.ko
> file that is being built and to the kernel modules directory on the
> target?  Do they do the same job?  Is it one or the other - in which
> case which is best?

We use the kernel module as a way to easy the upgrade of GPU driver
releases. If using the built-in the Linux kernel version needs to
match the GPU driver release while if using the external kernel
module, this is not a requirement.

Another reason is that the external kernel module bring fixes we do as
community.

> Secondly, in the tmp/work/…/imx-gpu-viv directory there is a file called
> imx-gpu-viv-6.2.4.p4.0-aarch32.bin and likewise in
> tmp/work/…/imx-gpu-g2d there is a imx-gpu-g2d-6.2.4.p4.0-arm.bin.  I
> presume that these are some kind of firmware file but as far as I can
> see they aren’t making it into the file system on the target.  Do I need
> to do something with them?

The version used depends on the target you are building for.

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750