[meta-freescale] Gstreamer customisation for meta-fsl-bsp-release

Tarun Tej K tarun4690 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 11:00:15 PDT 2018

Hi,

I have a Yocto setup using
https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest/tree/imx-4.9.88-2.0.0_ga.xml?h=imx-linux-rocko

On top of this, using a custom layer, I used gstreamer 1.14.2 recipes
downloaded from
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/recipes-multimedia/gstreamer

So I have successfully built gstreamer1.14.2 for imx6ul using these
recipes.
But I have observed that upon running 4 or more simultaneous pipelines the
RAM usage grows very rapidly and within 30 minutes OOM_killer gets invoked
and kills one of the pipelines.

When I removed the custom layer and reverted the gstreamer to 1.12.2 (whose
source is taken from freescale custom gstreamer repo instead of original
gstreamer repo) I do not see any excess Memory usage or OOM issues even
after running for 24 hours.

Since the gstreamer recipes present in meta-fsl-bsp-release are pointing to
different source instead of the original gstreamer sources repo, what are
the major changes done in the gstreamer for iMX which is preventing the
Memory issue or Out Of Memory situations?

Note:
I do not think this issue is related to version difference as this issue is
not seen on Ubuntu x86 which is running 1.14.x

Thanks
Tarun