[meta-freescale] iMX6 VPU Dma allocation

Mauro Ziliani mauro at faresoftware.it
Fri Nov 16 06:22:49 PST 2018

Hi all.

I'm working with an imx6dl-sabresd derived board.

Sometimes the video stop to work, even if I replay the same video many
times.

It happens that I play the video 10 times, and the 11th doesn't start

The reason of this behaviour is due to a dma allocation fault in
vpu_alloc_dma_buffer( drivers/mxc/vpu/mxc_vpu.c)
This fault is generated because the system try to alloc 5238784 bytes
for the DMA, and this space is not available.
The video play is done with gstreamer1.0 and imx-gst1.0-plugin (from a
QMediaPlayer 5.6.1).

Why suddenly gstreamer try to alloc a buffer of 5M? (wich dma cannot
manage due the fragmentation)

To solve this matter I try to integrate this patch into mxc_vpu.c

https://dev.sigmadrone.org/sigmadrone/linux-colibri/commit/7cbd06b2904c1855109084ca6b0c84990bc69233

Any other solutions?

Best regards,

  MZ