[meta-freescale] etnaviv image

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Tue May 23 18:32:02 PDT 2017

Hi,

I would like to build and run an image that doesn't use (proprietary)
Vivante graphics and uses etanviv instead.

I looked through the meta-etnaviv layer and I get the impression this
is no longer needed. It appears as though all the pieces I need have
been upstreamed (mesa, kernel). meta-etnaviv appears to want to build
pre-upstream mesa and kernel as well as provide some tools for etnaviv
development. So as long as I don't want/need the tools, it looks as
though I don't need meta-etnaviv (?).

Looking at meta-freescale, it looks as though what I'm looking for is
the ":use-mainline-bsp" MACHINEOVERRIDE. The only "freescale" boards I
have are the imx53qsb and the wandboard dual. The qsb looks like its
out of the question, and I get the feeling the wandboard might be a
little too old as well (or maybe just needs more attention?).

With a regular wandboard build, MACHINEOVERRIDES looks like:

    MACHINEOVERRIDES="armv7a:imx:mx6:imxpxp:imxipu:imxvpu:imxgpu2d:imxgpu3d:imxepdc:mx6dl:mx6q:wandboard

Once I add 'MACHINEOVERRIDES .= ":use-mainline-bsp"' the build fails
because it doesn't know what bootloader to use. A quick addition to
meta-freescale-3rdparty/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-fscl_%.bbappend
seems to fix this. Afterwards MACHINEOVERRIDES is:

    MACHINEOVERRIDES="armv7a:imx:wandboard:use-mainline-bsp"

It makes sense that items such as imxvpu, imxgpu2d, and imxgpu3d would
be removed. I'm not sure imx6 should be removed.

Even with this "use-mainline-bsp" in place, my wandboard build still
insists on using the wandboard-4.1.15 kernel. Is wandboard supported
upstream?

Is anyone able to build an image with vivante removed and etnaviv
working? Or is there more work to do? Maybe an "etnaviv"
MACHINEOVERRIDE is needed for any final fixups?

Should I, perhaps, consider a (newer) board? Is wandboard maybe too
old or not supported upstream such that etnaviv could work on it?

Best regards,
    Trevor