[meta-freescale] Follow hw vendor's instructions or FSL Community BSP?

Rogers, Simon simon.rogers at ultra-sss.com
Wed Oct 19 02:20:41 PDT 2016

> > Hello list
> Hi Simon,
> > I am starting to use Yocto to build images for my imx6 based Hummingboard.
> > Should I follow the vendor’s instructions, using their layer based on
> > fido branch , i.e.:
>>
> > git clone -b fido git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git
> > cd poky
> > git clone -b fido git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-fsl-arm
> > git clone -b fido git://github.com/SolidRun/meta-solidrun-arm-imx6.git
>>
> > or should I follow the FSL Community BSP instructions here given that
> > the Hummingboard is listed as supported, i.e.:
> >
> > mkdir fsl-community-bsp
> > cd fsl-community-bsp
> > repo init -u https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform
> > -b krogoth
> >
> > Is the difference purely in how new the branch is?
>
> I've recently had to make the exact same decision, so I'll give you my personal
> opinion based on what how that worked out for me. Your use-case may be
> different.
>
> The fido branch is old, and in my case I couldn't even get it to compile properly. I
> ended up porting the vendor's changes to jethro branch (newer), and then
> compile them in a virtual machine running Ubuntu, because it didn't compile in
> my machine. It was a pain, and there was a bad serial port bug on the imx6
> kernel which forced me to port it yet again to master. It's mostly working with
> master now, and I can compile it locally.
>
> My opinion then is as follows:
>
> a) unless you have a good reason to don't bother with the fido branch (or any
> old branch for that matter)
> b) if the board is supported by the community you're in luck. Just don't expect
> the vendor to provide any support if all they support is fido.
> c) if it's not, then you can either port it to a more recent branch, or just abandon
> it and switch to a different (more supportive) vendor..
>
> Porting a board to a new version of the kernel is a big hassle, no wonder why
> some vendors skimp on that. I'd say a vendor is not worth my money if it
> doesn't stand behind its product. On the other hand, you may not  have a choice
> :)
>
> > What about the hardware
> > vendor’s layer (meta-solidrun-arm-imx6) – is that incorporated into
> > the Krogoth release somehow?
>
> I'd say that it was incorporated in the fsl-community-bsp-platform layer. You still
> need "poky" and "meta-fsl-arm".
>
> Cheers,
>   Renato
> >
> > Thanks
> > Simon

Renato
Thanks for your advice. I'm trying to build Community Krogoth branch for Cubox-i. Core-image-minimal is ok but fsl-image-multimedia-full fails with:

fsl-community-bsp-krogoth/build/tmp/work/cubox_i-poky-linux-gnueabi/kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv/5.0.11.p8.4+fslc+gitAUTOINC+375bd95f49-r0/git/kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv-src/hal/os/linux/kernel/gc_hal_kernel_os.c:5871:5: error: implicit declaration of function 'dmac_map_area' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
dmac_map_area(Logical, Bytes, DMA_TO_DEVICE);
 ^

Can anyone please clarify the state of support in Krogoth for Hummingboard/Cubox-i?
Thank you
Simon

This e-mail from Ultra Electronics Limited and any attachments to it are confidential to
the intended recipient and may also be privileged. If you have received it in error please
notify the sender and delete it from your system. If you are not the intended recipient
you must not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to
any other person. All communications may be subject to interception or monitoring for
operational and/or security purposes. Please rely on your own virus checking as the sender
cannot accept any liability for any damage arising from any bug or virus infection.
Ultra Electronics Limited is a company registered in England and Wales, registration number
2830644. The address of its registered office is 417 Bridport Road, Greenford, Middlesex, UB6 8UA.