[meta-freescale] Freescale Yocto Question : Building imx6dl-riotboard

Eric.Zaluzec at Emerson.com Eric.Zaluzec at Emerson.com
Fri Nov 11 09:05:51 PST 2016

Greeting,
I have a quick question concerning the imx6dl-riotboard machine configuration file, maintained by the Yocto Freescale community.
We have an upcoming project for which we are considering a i.MX6 Dual Lite processor. But since there are no Dual Lite evaluation boards, at this time, we were provided an i.mx6 solo RIoTboard to use for initial testing, by Avnet and NXP distributors.

First off, thank you for providing up-to-date Yocto build repositories and documentation! This makes kicking-off a new Yocto BSP Project much simpler! Cheers.
I read the Freescale Yocto User Guide here:
http://www.bcmcom.com/CustomerDL/AR6MX/Yocto/Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf
I then read the  RIoTboard Yocto build guide here:
https://www.element14.com/community/community/designcenter/single-board-computers/riotboard/blog/2014/09/22/riotboard-yocto-part1-getting-started
Using both resources, I successfully built a Yocto image and was able to install onto my RIoTboard.

Now, using Yocto, I would like to build a RIoTboard image with a fido or krogoth branch of Yocto, to make use of the updated packages & bitbake recipes, like boost and java, These versions are dependencies to my metadata layer's packages.

I went to the fsl-arm-yocto-bsp git repository site and found the imx-4.1-krogoth branch:
http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git/?h=imx-4.1-krogoth

I followed the User Guide steps, but this time cloned the imx-4.1-krogoth branch. I noticed the riotboard.conf machine configuration file no longer existed, but a imx6dl-riotboard machine was present in the meta-fsl-arm-extra & meta-freescale-3rdparty metadata layers. I successfully built an image with this machine conf file, but then realized that it was 'dl' (Dual Lite?) and would not boot with the solo RIoTboard that I was using.

Question :
Are there any branches on for the fsl-arm-yocto-bsp repository that are fido/jethro/krogoth compatible, that include the riotboard solo machine configuration file?
http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git
If not, is it possible for users, like me, to base a riotboard solo machine conf file off the imx6dl-riotboard machine and create a successful BSP image? Or are these unavoidable conflicts?

The critical piece here is not necessarily having a v4.1 kernel but just the use of the updated package recipes & the dependency to custom packages trying to be installed & tested on the riotboard!

Any help, suggestions, or feedback would greatly be appreciated! Right now I am just tinkering with learning about the riotboard machine conf file to see if I can port it to the imx-4.1-krogoth branch.

Thanks!
-Eric Zaluzec
(Eric.Zaluzec at Emerson.com)