[meta-freescale] Freescale Yocto Question - Building imx6dl-riotboard

Eric.Zaluzec at Emerson.com Eric.Zaluzec at Emerson.com
Tue Nov 15 08:36:46 PST 2016

Daiane, my test steps & results are described below.
I followed the README steps on the imx-4.1-krogoth branch of the fsl-arm-yocto-bsp repo for building. I used the default.xml.

After 'repo sync', I ran the following, 'MACHINE=imx6dl-riotboard DISTRO=fsl-imx-fb source ./fsl-setup-release.sh -b bld-fb'

Since I am using Framebuffer backend type, I did a 'bitbake fsl-image-machine-test'. This image is a console-only image that includes gstreamer packages, Freescale's multimedia packages (VPU and GPU) when available, and test and benchmark applications.

During bitbake's parsing, I received an error saying nothing RPROVIDES 'imx-codec-test-bin'. I modified the imx-codec_4.1.4.bb package recipe to add 'imx6dl-riotboard' as a 'COMPATIBLE_MACHINE'. The machine configuration file for riotboard could also include ' SOC_FAMILY = "mx6:mx6s" '  to resolve error, since 'mx6' is already listed as a COMPATIBLE_MACHINE in imx-codec.

After the codec recipe change, the fsl-image-machine-test image completed, successfully. 'fsl-image-machine-test-imx6dl-riotboard-20161114220105.rootfs.sdcard'

I following the RIoTboard wiki to flash BSP image on SD card. [1] But once the device is powered on, the debug terminal is blank and I do not see any kernel output logs, boot messages, or the freescale splash screen. Additionally, I built and tested the fsl-image-gui with x11 distro. Same results on RIoTboard.
The RIoTboard BSP image on the imx-3.10.17-1.0.0_ga branch would boot correctly following these steps.

When comparing the RIoTboard's BSP & MACHINE configurations files from the two branches of the fsl-arm-yocto-bsp repositories, I have observed that many of the RIoTboard BSP's conf and device tree files were renamed from 'solo' to 'dl'. From my understanding there is only a solo RIoTboard. What made the naming convention change so much from solo to dual lite?

Can you escalate this to anyone else in the community who is maintaining the FSL Community BSP release of the imx6dl-riotboard? @MAINTAINER: Nikolay Dimitrov <picmaster at mail.bg>

[1]
http://riotboard.org/download/Wiki-Beginner-Flash%20a%20precompiled%20BSP%20image%20to%20an%20SD%20card.pdf

Thanks,