[meta-freescale] Adding new MACHINE to yocto build

Maciej Borzęcki maciej.borzecki at rndity.com
Sun Jul 24 23:42:03 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 1:29 AM, Ali Ismail <AIsmail at syncroness.com> wrote:

> I added a new layer to my yocto build. I added a layer configuration
> to /conf/machine in the new layer. I added the layer path to
> bblayers.conf. I get the following notes/issues:
>

> NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
> NOTE: preferred version 3.14.52 of linux-imx not available (for item virtual/kernel)
> NOTE: versions of linux-imx available: 3.14.28
> NOTE: preferred version 3.14.52 of linux-imx not available (for item kernel-base)
> NOTE: versions of linux-imx available: 3.14.28
> NOTE: preferred version 3.14.52 of linux-imx not available (for item kernel-image)
> NOTE: versions of linux-imx available: 3.14.28
>

> The build is somehow not recognizing the new machine I added and
> defaults to the older kernel. Is there a config step I am missing?

IIRC 3.14.28 was in meta-fsl-arm fido branch? However, it looks like you
are looking for 3.14.52 that is found in jethro branch. Make sure that
you are using a correct branch of meta-fsl-arm.

Another thing, the recipes for low-level components (kernel, bootloader
etc.) often set COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "..", for example (taken from
linux-imx_4.1.15.bb):

  COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(mx6|mx6ul|mx7)"

Keep in mind that COMPATIBLE_MACHINE is a regex and matches against
MACHINEOVERRIDES.

To have the least problems when defining a custom machine based on an
upstream one, I usually do the following:

- name the custom machine using the upstream prefix, ex.
  imx6qsabreauto-someproject

- include the upstream machine conf in customized one:

    require conf/machine/imx6qsabreauto.conf

Maciej Borzecki
RnDity