[meta-freescale] image-prelink (can) cause SIGSEGV on program startup (when run under GDB)

Christian Ege k4230r6 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 01:40:27 PST 2016

Hi Bjørn,
Am 07.01.2016 9:57 vorm. schrieb "Bjørn Forsman" <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> Just FYI, I spent 2 days debugging why my application would fail to
> start when run under GDB (gdbserver). It received SIGSEGV _before_
> entering main. Turns out that by removing "image-prelink" from
> local.conf fixes it.
>
>From my experience image-prelink and using the OpenEmbedded SDKs is not
recommended. Maybe your SDK is older than your current rootfs this can
cause GDB to struggle.

Anyway we had big issues when we tried to analyse stack backtraces with our
rootfs and marching SDK. Because the libc in the SDK is not prelinked and
the checksum check in GDB is not passed GDB barked out some warning.

Maybe there is a magic knob to tune but we did not found it. But the last
time I checked was in an older Yocto/OpenEmbedded environment.

> I don't know the right channel to discuss prelink issues, I just
> thought I'd post it _somewhere_.
>
> Best regards,
> Bjørn Forsman
Regards,