[meta-freescale] Weston performance issue on imx6quad

Dominique Bureau dbureau at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:44:10 PDT 2016

Hi,

We're currently upgrading the bsp of our board (based off a SabreSD at
1.2Ghz) from Daisy to Jethro using kernel 3.10.53 and stumbled upon a
performance issue within weston with fbdev-backend (or at least that's what
it looks like).

Running weston-simple-egl easily shows the performance difference between my
two setups:
* On Daisy (weston 1.6): solid 60 fps
* On Jethro (weston 1.8, imx-gpu-viv-5.0.11.p7.4): 35.56 fps
I'm using the same parameters on both setups (FB_MULTI_BUFFER=2,
--use-gl=1). Setting the FB_MULTI_BUFFER=1 will give a slight performance
increase (39.0 fps), but still nowhere near where we were on Daisy. Also,
I've tried updating to Weston 1.9, as well as imx-gpu-viv-5.0.11.p8.3, but
get the same results.

Is there anything obvious I could be missing?

Another detail is that the bsp was originally based off the Freescale bsp
release, but we have since moved to the community release during our update
to Jethro.

Thanks!

--
Dominique Bureau