[meta-freescale] [meta-fsl-arm] i.MX6 memory needs

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Apr 14 21:56:20 PDT 2016

I realize this is a bit off-topic but I'm hoping someone might
have an idea for me.  I want to run my i.MX6 targets with a
fairly small amount of DDR RAM.  I have a i.MX6UL which runs
happily in 512MB.  When I boot and check things (/proc/meminfo)
I can see that very little of this memory is actually used.

Sadly, if I tell the kernel to use only 256MB, it crashes with
illegal address exceptions (different platforms get different
errors, but they all die horribly).  I've tried the same thing
using qemuarm and it is quite happy with only 256MB.

Any ideas about this?  Will I be able to run i.MX6 with only 256MB?

n.b. to test this I just added 'mem=256m' to "bootargs".