[meta-freescale] Booting fido on sabrelite through u-boot

Gary Bisson gary.bisson at boundarydevices.com
Thu Oct 29 06:05:33 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Maciej Tucholski
<mtucholski at certicom.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I’m using a sabrelite board (https://boundarydevices.com/product/sabre-lite-imx6-sbc/)
>
> I used it in the past for QNX and linux, this time I am trying to get yocto 1.8 (aka fido) running on it.
>
> I was able to get fido to build on an Ubuntu machine, and I have the images, rootfs .dtb etc etc, however
> I am not able to boot the kernel on the board.
>
> I made several different attempts via SD card, and TFTP
>
> What I was able to find out is that in order to boot using an SD card, the u-boot stored in SPI needs to be tweaked like so:
>
> mw.l 0x020d8040 0x3040 && mw.l 0x020d8044 0x10000000
> reset
>
> or replaced with SPI to SD loader (https://wiki.linaro.org/Boards/MX6QSabreLite)
>
> However no luck with either approach.

Actually the approach we recommend is to leave the U-Boot in NOR, then
it loads the kernel from any media you want (USB, MMC, SATA or even
TFTP).

Please flash the following U-Boot into NOR:
https://boundarydevices.com/compiling-latest-u-boot-for-i-mx6-2015-edition/

> Currently I am xfering the fido zImage via tftp, and I am trying to get the bootz command to load it, but it hangs up on “Starting kernel ...”
>
> I am not sure if I didn’t build this right, or what exactly is going on, but I’m stuck and can’t figure this out.

The fido branch is using a 3.14 kernel which means that it needs a
device tree blob otherwise the kernel won't boot.

But once you'll flash the U-Boot provided in the link above, you won't
have to worry about since it will load a script (6x_bootscript),
already present in the sdcard image you generated, that will take care
of loading all the necessary binaries to boot.

Regards,
Gary