[meta-freescale] Getting started on iMX6 DL development

Daiane Angolini daiane.list at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 08:59:57 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Jeff Waller <truthset at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Daiane,
>
> Thanks for the reply, yea I was able to simply clone into the top level poky
> directory,
> but perhaps it would be better to clone in another location an then copy.
> As I
> suspected defining another machine ‘fixed’ the problem and the compilation
> was
> successful.  But now I’m not sure how to run this in the emulator or if it
> can
> be done.  According to the discussion list, qemu does support Cortex-A9
> except
> for some minor aspects which I don’t think will affect me.
>
> As far as upgrading to something newer then 1.5; that’s out of my control
> because
> this is a selection of the manufacturer. I think it’s Dora anyway based on
> system
> information.

FSL Community BSP has support for imx6dlsabresd, as you saw, and we
keep this up to date with latest Freescale released source code. If
you decide to use the latest you can add your board support on our
kernel and add your board to meta-fsl-arm-extra.

But it's up on you.

> I simply ended up picking a supported BSP from the list that was “close” to
> what I’m guessing is the actual hardware
>
> Build Configuration:
> BB_VERSION        = "1.20.0"
> BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
> NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-14.04"
> TARGET_SYS        = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"
> MACHINE           = "imx6dlsabresd"
> DISTRO            = "poky"
> DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.5.4"
> TUNE_FEATURES     = "armv7a vfp neon callconvention-hard cortexa9"
> TARGET_FPU        = "vfp-neon"
>
> But it’s not quite the same, for instance, the actual hardware supports
>
> swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
>
> It would be nice to build up a more correct profile; I’m not quire sure how
> begin on that one.

If you want cortex-a9 support only, it would be better to use the
default kernel for qemuarm. But you can also try to change the default
settings (TUNES), take a look on the imx-base.inc file, and the
machine file.

Daiane