[meta-freescale] [OE-core] trouble related to oe-core update

Max Krummenacher max.oss.09 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:25:07 PDT 2015

Hi All

Andreas Müller <schnitzeltony at ...> writes:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio <at> ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Andreas Müller
> > <schnitzeltony <at> googlemail.com> wrote:

That is wrong, see below.

meta-fsl-arm adds an additional package feed for the SOC ARCH packages
to the ones already available.
e.g. for i.MX6 cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-mx6qdl.

If the configuration sets the default instruction set to thumb
(as angstrom does) then all packages which are built with thumb
are placed in a thumb specific feed.
So meta-fsl-arm must add yet another package feed,
e.g. cortexa9t2hf-vfp-neon-mx6qdl.
The mentioned patch (and its changes due to regressions or
side effects) does this so that during do_rootfs these thumb packages
are actually found.

I believe that the way Angstrom configures thumb together with how
meta-fsl-arm sets the DEFAULTTUNE the resulting build does
a) build thumb packages
and
b) does not have thumb in TUNE_FEATURES
which makes the sanity checker kick in.

Standard assignment from Angstrom after some python magic:
DEFAULTTUNE := "${@arm_tune_handler(d)}"
https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-angstrom/blob/master/conf/distro/include/arm-defaults.inc#L22
Plus setting the default instruction set to thumb here:
https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-angstrom/blob/master/conf/distro/include/angstrom.inc#L56

Override in meta-fsl-arm which takes precedence
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm/blob/master/conf/machine/include/imx-base.inc#L37
DEFAULTTUNE_mx6 ?= "cortexa9hf-neon"

My luck was the following define in the machine configuration
DEFAULTTUNE_mx6 = "armv7athf-neon"
because I build for cortex-a5 and cortex-a9 machines and don't want to
rebuild all packages due to specific machine archs.
http://git.toradex.com/cgit/meta-toradex.git/tree/conf/machine/apalis-imx6.conf?h=V2.4#n6

So you probably get a working configuration when adding one of the
following:
DEFAULTTUNE_mx6 = "armv7athf-neon"
DEFAULTTUNE_mx6 = "cortexa9thf-neon"

Regards