[meta-freescale] building embest marsboard with the latest yocto project

Daiane Angolini daiane.list at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 03:44:41 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 1:40 AM, Abdul Rahman Riza <ar.riza at live.com> wrote:
> Dear Ms Daiane Angolini,
>
> Many thanks for the tips. I am totally newbie to yocto and it seems
> yoctoproject the only answer for my problem.
>
> U-boot and kernel git repository I pulled using git from embest marsboard
> tutorial from here
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbma1kjjdlptvj9/MarS%20Board%20User%20Manual_V2.0.pdf?dl=0
>
> 5.1.1 Getting Tools and Source Code
> 1)
> Execute the following instructions to get cross compiling toolchain;
>  $ cd ~
>  $ git clone git://github.com/embest-tech/fsl-linaro-toolchain.git
> 2)
> Execute the following instructions to get u-boot source code;
>  $ cd ~
>  $ git clone git://github.com/embest-tech/u-boot-imx.git -b
> embest_imx_3.0.15_12.04.01
> 3)
> Execute the following instructions to get kernel source code;
>  $ cd ~
>  $ git clone git://github.com/embest-tech/linux-imx.git -b
> embest_imx_3.0.35_4.0.0
>
> I have no idea from where to get marsboard support in meta-fsl-arm-extra .
>

> Please advise,

How to add a new board:

Usually, a new machine support is composed by 3 commits, [1] the
bootloader provider [2] the kernel provider [3] the machine conf file.
I pasted the newest machine in meta-fsl-arm-extra as an example. It is
important to have the machine conf file as last commit.

[1] https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra/commit/4ef0bcd2525037d4d35a973f543e3745bd96b633
[2] https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra/commit/cd4b6646cece0363bd22db59d41f14168305a4e6
[3] https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra/commit/2a2a2e83660cada05215129c0f48b67646f57422

You can use this machine conf file as example, or any other from
meta-fsl-arm or meta-fsl-arm-extra. Pick the one closer to your board.

Ideally, one would avoid to add a new u-boot or kernel provider, and
would use u-boot-fslc and linux-fslc (mainline)

Remember to add:

* MAINTAINER for the machine conf file
* LOCALVERSION or SRCBRANCH for bootloader and kernel
* DESCRIPTION or SUMMARY (or both) for bootloader and kernel

all those points are used in FSL Community BSP Release Notes

Do you know which version is the kernel provided by the link you
pasted?  Versions 3.0.35 and 3.10.17 has incompatible GPU driver
version.

Send the patch as show in README [4]

[4] https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra/blob/master/README#L33

Try to add as much information as possible in the machine conf commit
log (such as URLs where to find the commercial board page, forum and
other external info)

I think that's all.

Regards,
Daiane