[meta-freescale] [meta-fsl-ppc] NFS boot problem on p2041rdb with kernel from meta-fsl-ppc @ dizzy.

Liviu Gheorghisan liviu.gheorghisan at enea.com
Mon Jun 15 06:43:05 PDT 2015

Hello,

I have a problem booting over NFS the p2041rdb board with the kernel
from meta-fsl-ppc on dizzy branch (version 3.12, although it's the same
kernel revision on fido and master branches as well):

URI: git://git.freescale.com/ppc/sdk/linux.git
REV: 6619b8b55796cdf0cec04b66a71288edd3057229

After the p2041rdb board boots I can login successfully, but after a few
seconds I see this:

nfs: server X.Y.Z.W not responding, still trying
nfs: server X.Y.Z.W not responding, still trying

...over and over again, during which the board is frozen, and only a
reset fixes it.

This problem only reproduces if the rootfs image is big enough (let's
say more than 4.5GB), otherwise NFS boot works OK.

I boot with these bootargs:

$> setenv bootargs 'root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=X.Y.Z.W:/unix/linux_rootfs
ip=dhcp console=ttyS0,115200 memmap=16M$0xf7000000 mem=4080M
max_addr=f6ffffff'

This is not a problem related to the NFS server that I'm using since I
use that server for a lot of other boards/mounts - all working fine.
Network connectivity is OK at all times, and there is no firewall
between the board and the NFS server.

Personally I suspect this is a problem in the SunRPC client (NFS works
over RPC) from kernel/net/sunrpc/clnt.c regarding the time-out handling.

Do you have any idea or suggestion?

Thanks,

--
Liviu Gheorghisan