[meta-freescale] building embest marsboard with the latest yocto project

Daiane Angolini daiane.list at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 04:28:48 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 6:59 AM, Abdul Rahman Riza <ar.riza at live.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ms Daiane Angolini,
>
> I am intended to use embest marsboard for electric vehicle controller
> purpose:
>
> CAN for communicating with electric motor controller and battery management
> system.
> LVDS for communicating with touchscreen and HDMI for communicating with
> passenger LED TV
> GPIO for all controlled devices such air conditioning and power steering
> 3G capable to send real time electric motor and battery data performance.
> GPS capable to discover location and mapping nearest charging station.
> Wireless Camera for driver sleepy detector
>
> I am intended to purchase your book Embedded Linux Development with Yocto
> Project with mr Otavio Salvador. Hopefully there's a clear information how
> to use HOB with I expect to be easier.

HOB is deprecated, now the tool is called Toaster.

Regarding the book, now there is another one from Alex González [1]
also being sold by Amazon and Packt. Read the descriptions and the
reviews and decide what is suitable for you.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Embedded-Linux-Projects-Project-Cookbook-ebook/dp/B00VGE69LI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435749576&sr=8-3&keywords=yocto

> The issue raised as following:
>
> The current kernel is using 3.04. I have downloaded poky fido 1.8 hopefully
> may utilize all gpio including lvds touchscreen.

Start using the kernel provided by Embest. If they have a BSP this
would be an starting point as mars board is not supported by FSL
Community BSP 1.8 [2]

I've heard mars is very close to riot, and riot is supported by FSL
Community BSP 1.8. Maybe this could be a nice second step.

[2] http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/1.8/index.html#supported-board-list

> Just in case I have successfully build my image then how to install it into
> e-MMc. Do I have to use manufacturing tools from freescale or yocto has
> tools to do that?

Take a look on the suggested how-to install the BSP on warp board here
[3], in fact you decide if you want to use mfg-tools or other tool.

[3] https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra/blob/master/conf/machine/imx6sl-warp.conf

> I need to use opencv for driver sleepy detector. I need to know how to put
> openCV models into yocto recipe?

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "opencv" maybe? I have never worked
directly with openCV, maybe [4] can help

[4] http://imxcv.blogspot.com/

> Please advise,
>
> Riza

Regards,