[meta-freescale] meta-fsl-ppc: DPAA, questioning constants used for T1040 that are borrowed from FMAN V3H....

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Wed Jan 21 19:52:08 PST 2015

Hi,

There are some values set for T1040 / FMANV3L that don't match the
published specifications for the part.  The values I'm questioning are
mainly defined in
drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fman/inc/integrations/T4240/dpaa_integration_ext.h
(V3H integration layer)

I'm wondering whether this is a purposeful overallocation to simplify
things or if this is an oversight.

The mismatch that troubles me most is the max number of tasks in
FMBM_CFG2.TNTSKS is set to 124 rather than 60 (in violation of the T1040
DPAA RM).  Also, this value appears to be hard coded in
Peripherals/FM/fm.h rather than use the BMI_MAX_NUM_OF_TASKS value in
dpaa_integration_ext.h, which is also set wrong for FMAN V3L.

Below is a list of dpaa_integration_ext.h constants (#defines) that are
being used for the T1040 but don't appear to match the published
capabilities:

FM_MURAM_SIZE	should be 192 KILOBYTE, not 384 KILOBYTE
FM_IRAM_SIZE 	should be 32 KILOBYTE, not 64 KILOBYTE
FM_NUM_OF_CTRL 	should be 1, not 4
FM_VSP_MAX_NUM_OF_ENTRIES should be 32, not 64
FM_MAX_NUM_OF_10G_MACS should be 0, not 1

And there are some others, like the enums for the number of SW portals
(24 are allocated but the T1040 only has 10).

If these over-allocations are purposeful, then I'll keep my patches
local to optimize my target's RAM.  Otherwise, I'll submit my patches
once I am done rigorously testing my changes.

Thanks

Bob