[meta-freescale] linux-qoriq, scmversion: do_configure_prepend() causes error with master...

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Fri Jan 2 03:40:44 PST 2015

Hello Bob,

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 2:15 AM, Bob Cochran <yocto at mindchasers.com> wrote:
> Inside linux-qoriq.inc:do_configure_prepend() there is a section that builds
> an scmversion string and writes it to ${S}/.scmversion.
>
> The section of script assumes it's in the source directory and executes 'git
> rev-parse --verify --short HEAD' to get the SHA, but this fails and the
> baking abruptly comes to an end.
>
> With a 3.12 kernel, do we need to worry about manually generating an
> scmversion string?  Looking at the default config, LOCALVERSION_AUTO is
> enabled.
>
> However, my generated kernel after I removed the scmversion generation logic
> from do_configure_prepend() didn't show the -gxxxxxxxx suffix when I ran
> uname.  So, it's not clear to me whether this kernel feature is broken by
> the environment.
>
> In summary, I think linux-qoriq.inc needs a patch to do_configure_prepend(),
> but I'm not sure what's actually needed.  In the the interim, I'm using a
> modified linux-qoriq.inc as shown below.

This is necessary because master has changed the way kernel build
happens. If you take a look at meta-fsl-arm, I fixed this changing the
fsl-kernel-localversion class.

So if you are willing to look at this, please copy the class to
meta-fsl-ppc and change the recipes to use it. This reduces code
duplication and allow for easy fixing in those specific use cases.