[meta-freescale] Advantech UBC-200

Daiane Angolini daiane.list at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 08:16:06 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Dan Gundlach <cyclist2918 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Daiane Angolini <daiane.list at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Dan Gundlach <cyclist2918 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm trying to install dizzy to an Advantech UBC-200.  It's basically a
>> > Sabre
>> > SD.
>> >
>> > I tried building various images, but none of them would boot unless I
>> > used
>> > the stock kernel (3.0.35) configuration, which I built using the Linaro
>> > based BSP from Advantech.  I had to make a change to the kernel
>> > configuration for udev-182, and was able to get it to start.  I had to
>> > manually create the sdcard using the scripts from the BSP.  I'm using
>> > the
>> > core-image-full-cmdline recipe.
>> >
>> > It looks like everything is starting except for the network.  I'm not
>> > getting a kernel message recognizing the network adapter.  I'm not even
>> > getting an ip address on the lo device.  The new kernel works perfectly
>> > when
>> > installed on the rescue image that I made using the BSP, so I'm baffled
>> > as
>> > to what the problem is.
>>

>> For me, it looks like you have a kernel problem.
>> Using the same rootfs, you get different result when changing the
>> kernel, so for me the problem is the kernel.
>

> What I'm trying to do is build a Yocto system wrapped around a known working
> kernel and u-boot, since the image built using Yocto was not even recognized
> by the machine.
>
> I guess that I wasn't clear in explaining my problem.  The modified kernel
> works with the original rootfs on an SD card, while I'm getting a failure
> with the Yocto rootfs.  I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something in my
> kernel configuration that some package (udev?) in Yocto needs.  The only
> difference between the original kernel and the one I built is support for
> devtmpfs.  I've pasted the kernel configuration below.

Take a look here:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-arm/tree/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-imx_3.0.35.bb?h=dora

Maybe, it can help you with some patch.

And another important point, if you need GPU support it's not that simple.

> The u-boot installed on the system is 2009.08.  Could that be why the image
> I built completely using bitbake wouldn't boot?  The system completely
> ignored the SD card when I used the image I built using bitbake, so I
> created the image using the tools provided by Advantech.  There's only one
> partition on the card,  and it's offset so that u-boot and the kernel can be
> written to the card with dd.

u-boot 2009.08 and 2014.X are hugely different.

I remember a different set of variable was needed to use u-boot
2009.08 in yocto.

So, yes, maybe it was copied wrongly to the sdcard and nothing happens.

However, if you are working only with the pieces, I'm sure you can get
your u-boot to mount the system, depending on the way you configure
the sdcard and bootenv.

I assume you mean the .ext3 rootfs when you say yocto rootfs (and not
the .sdcard image)

Daiane