[meta-freescale] Boot on eMMC

Shanx shanx at legtux.org
Wed Apr 15 07:19:28 PDT 2015

My eMMC is mmcblk3. mmcblk3boot0 contains u-boot.imx, mmcbl3p1 contains the
zImage and dtb files, and mmcblk3p2 contains the rootfs. When booting, I
use the u-boot of mmcblk3boot0. To use the system of the eMMC, I've tried
this command in u-boot :

fatload mmc 2:1 0x12000000 zImage ; fatload mmc 2:1 0x18000000
imx6q-sabresd-ldo.dtb ; setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200
root=/dev/mmcblk3p2 ; bootz 0x12000000 - 0x18000000

It works well, but it seems that the rootfs is loaded in RAM (after a
reboot, all modifications are lost, and mount gives no indication of
mmcbl3p2 being mounted). But if I boot without root=/dev/mmcblk3p2, I have
a kernel panic because the kernel doesn't find the rootfs. I don't
understand. Does the kernel read the rootfs in en eMMC and load it in RAM ?
It's illogical, and it's not what I want. Where am I wrong ?