[meta-freescale] How you program your sdcard / mmc

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 08:45:09 PDT 2015

Hi Andrea,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:39 PM,  <andrea at perpic.it> wrote:

> Regarding the various solution with u-boot. The part that is not clear
> to me is: I need to have u-boot on sdcard otherwise the imx53qsb doesn't
> boot. Where do you place u-boot? On a USB drive? I saw on the datasheet
> that I can use eMMC, SD and NAND or Hard Disks via PATA/SATA. USB is not
> in there.
> My question is: When I have a brand new board with the eMMC memory
> soldered on. How can I install there u-boot and all the rest of the
> system? I can't make u-boot install anything, because it's not there
> yet.
> Can someone explain it better?

1. You generate u-boot.imx in your Linux host PC

2. Put the boot jumpers to USB download mode on your board. (If you
don't have boot jumpers, then it will automatically enter in USB
download mode if a valid boot image is not found.)

3. Transfer the u-boot.imx binary via USB cable using the imx_usb
utility running on the Linux host

sudo ./imx_usb u-boot.imx

4. Then you shouls see U-boot on the board console;

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam