[meta-freescale] Boot on eMMC

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Apr 14 07:58:45 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-14 08:28, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Shanx <shanx at legtux.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've tried a lot of things, but I can't boot on eMMC. I've flashed it from
>> u-boot, or from the system (booted from the sdcard). For exemple, I've tried
>> : dd if=rootfs.sdcard of=/dev/mmcblk3
>> I've also tried to flash only u-boot.imx (with dd and seek=2)
>>
>> When booting on eMMC (with the boot switch setup given on the Linux User
>> Guide), nothing append. Any idea why ?
>
> eMMC has some details which differ from the uSD normal usage. Mainly
> regarding the use of Boot Partitions. So you must to write it to the
> boot partition otherwise it won't work.

I'm not sure this is correct.  I have an i.MX6Q board which has
eMMC on SD4 and SD on SD3 and I can boot from either, using the
same command to install U-Boot
   dd if=/tmp/disk/${UBOOT_NAME} of=${DISK} seek=2 bs=512 conv=notrunc

Maybe it's a difference in the eMMC device (mine is Sandisk SDIN5 (or7)C2-32G-L)