[meta-freescale] imx6: webkit html5 video with hardware acceleration

Richard Cochran richardcochran at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 12:14:49 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 09:02:03PM +0200, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:

> With stock WebKit, you can pretty much forget about that. Look at
> this source: https://github.com/WebKit/webkit/blob/master/Source/WebCore/platform/graphics/gstreamer/VideoSinkGStreamer.cpp#L138
> note how it copies pixels with the CPU.

Right, I saw that, too.

For zero copy, you would need a imx6-specific hack^H^H^H^H modification.

So the first question becomes is this.

Q. Does Freescale provide any kind of support for hardware accelerated
   HTML5 video on the imx6?

A. No.

I already knew this. The *next* question, which I am trying to ask
here, is, does anyone have this working at all, like with some kind of
unoffical or alpha-quality patch?

> There is apparently a GL-based alternative, but I haven't seen it in
> action yet.

GL is something completely else entirely.

Thanks,
Richard