[meta-freescale] Any hope of vblank-synchronized rendering (from vivante) on i.MX6 soon?

Gerard Bucas gerard.b at tekmagic.net
Tue Sep 23 07:31:57 PDT 2014

I agree Carlos!

This is a show-stopper for applications in markets like the Digital Signage market - which could be huge for the i.MX6. The i.MX6 could be the best "media player" out there but the problems related to video playback in a browser (like Chrome/Chromium) needs to be solved wih the highest priority and at the highest level.

There seem to be TWO main issues:

1. Lack of vsync synchronized support for video playback in vivante graphics libraries. This is causing serious tearing on video playback in Chromium (which is dependent on this support in X11 or ozone-wayland). In X11 this requires support for DRI2 in the vivante GPU/graphics libraries. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Rendering_Infrastructure for more details.

2. More hardware acceleration support in the GPU/VPU libraries (also mostly in the domain of vivante I guess). We need a clear summary (LIST) of:
- What exactly is currently being "hardware accelerated" (latest V5.x graphics libraries were a great step forward!)
- What additional support is required in the GPU/VPU libraries to further improve performance in X11 and ozone-wayland.

In my opinion, we need to appoint a "point person" at freescale and vivante to clearly focus on raising the priority of these issues, and keep focus on them with a clearly defined roadmap (timeline) and in parallel bring this to the attention of the most senior i.MX6 product manager (and marketing people) at freescale so that they realize the significant market opportunities they are missing (eg: Digital Signage) by ignoring these issues. The i.MX6 could be the best HRML5 "playback device" (which is dependent on a browser like Chrome/Chromium and hence X11 and/or ozone-wayland) for a number of industries. Having been the CEO of Scala (www.scala.com ) for 10 years, I know the Digital Signage industry very well and it is hungrily waiting for a good ARM-based "HTML5 playback device" to replace the current options available (which require more power, generate more heat, need fans which have high maintenance problems in industrial/commercial environments, are more expensive). I am REALLY surprised that freescale (and vivante!) is not putting more focus on  this!

Let’s get everyone on board with this and start applying some serious pressure on ALL parties involved!!!

Regards

Gerard Bucas