[meta-freescale] The Yocto layer re-architect for FSL QorIQ SDK

zhenhua.luo at freescale.com zhenhua.luo at freescale.com
Mon Sep 22 20:45:17 PDT 2014

[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] Currently u-boot, linux, rcw, cst, apptrk, asf recipes can be shared by QorIQ ARM and QorIQ PPC targets, there will be more common packages in future.

> > LS1 is merged in fsl-arm so you can include it into FSL SDK in your
> > git submodules/supergit/repo file.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] This is the method we used now, actually u-boot/linux/rcw recipes is duplicated in current fsl-arm and fsl-ppc layer,  the new meta-fsl-qoriq layer can avoid such duplication and manage the QorIQ recipes more logically.

> > I see no benefit merging it, just cons ...
>
> The benefit I see is that it logically groups all QorIQ parts together, which I
> believe is important.
>
> When Freescale needs to provide support for LS2A (next generation) DPAA,
> the current organization will become a mess.  A lot (if not most) of the QorIQ
> BSP layer is for DPAA / networking, and I don't think it will make sense to have
> these duplicated in both meta-fsl-ppc and meta-fsl-arm, or have DPAA code
> that will be built for the ARM in meta-fsl-ppc (or vice versa).
>
> I would hope that having this code organized in logical layers under the scope
> of QorIQ would make it more manageable in migrating from something like a
> TXXX device to an LS2A device.
>
> However, I certainly understand you not wanting to change everything before
> there is stability in what we currently have.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] The new layer architecture is not conflict with the integration of meta-fsl-ppc, the work of fsl-ppc layer integration is on-going, we are preparing the patches of documents and fsl-ppc optimization, the ideal situation is to finish it for Yocto 1.7 release. This schedule might be deferred due to the tough schedule and limited resource.
    When the meta-fsl-qoriq is ready, we can replace fsl-ppc with fsl-qoriq in the FSL community BSP.

> I'm building with meta-fsl-ppc on a daily basis, but I'm not using anything else in
> the community tree (e.g., demos, meta-fsl-arm, repo,
> etc.) because my perception is it isn't ready for me as a QorIQ developer.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] With regard to the common bblayers.conf template, I think we can use a more flexible way to only add required layers for specific target instead of use the same bblayers.conf for all FSL targets. This can avoid including unnecessary layers and cross-impaction of layers.

> Zhenhua, when are you looking to make these changes?  Will this be a master-
> next sort of thing after the end of the year, or do you want to do all this now?
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] We want to make fsl-ppc stuffs in master instead of master-next, the original plan is to finish the fsl-ppc integration for Yocto 1.7, but the schedule might be deferred due to limited resource. I believe the work can be done this year.

Regarding the new meta-fsl-qoriq layer, our goal is to make the layer ready for usage this year.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua