[meta-freescale] The Yocto layer re-architect for FSL QorIQ SDK

Richard Schmitt richard.schmitt at freescale.com
Mon Sep 22 07:32:51 PDT 2014

>> Freescale will break every product layer out there for no good reason, it seems. The
>> previous repository cannot be removed without critical impacts.

I don't see that.  Currently meta-fsl-ppc is only used by customers building for QorIQ based boards.  So essentially we are renaming meta-fsl-ppc to be meta-fsl-qoriq.

Then as we add our ARM support for LS1 and LS2, they will be BSPs under meta-fsl-qoriq.

>> FSL processors are the ONLY one in the World to provide DPAA?

Yes, they are.  and logically it is possible for both our ARM and PPC products to support it.  It is why we want a meta-fsl-qoriq layer, so that we could put things like meta-fsl-dpaa in it.

We are trying to model the intel support.  There is a meta-intel layer with individual bsps and a common layer underneath it.

This seems to be the best approach to handle a collection of related products out there.

>> I think it is too soon to talk about any reorganization of the
>> layers. I am still awaiting for the layers cleanup on the
>> meta-fsl-ppc as several recipes there belong to other layers (meta-networking, meta-oe and so on).

That doesn't make sense to me.  The idea is to cleanup the layers as part of the restructuring.  Why would we want to do it as separate steps.

>> I have customers moving from/to TI and FSL, those use meta-ti and fsl-arm in SAME
>> setup with no issues. It is as easy as change the machine name.

That may be fine for generic arm boards, but our BSPs will be extending the generic architectures.

Rich