[meta-freescale] OV5640 MIPI-CSI2 driver - why the limitations?

Jacob Pedersen jp at circleconsult.dk
Tue Sep 16 06:25:04 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

I'm using a OmniVision OV5640 MIPI-CSI2 image sensor with a iMX6 Quad board, and I'm doing some computer vision applications. I'm curious to know why the driver for the OV5640 sensor is limited to 30 fps, even though the sensor can do 60 fps at 720p and 90 fps at VGA? As far as I can see in the driver, the frame rate is clamped to maximum 30 fps.

Is there a technical reason, or is it just because it hasn't been updated for all the supported modes?

The driver also limits the available image formats, which makes one required to do the conversion in software or (as in my case) using the IPU. The IPU is fairly fast to do the simple UYVY to RGB24 conversion, but still slower than just getting an RGB image from the sensor.

Best,

Jacob