[meta-freescale] setting up cross-compiling understanding problems

Matthias.Heise at atlas-elektronik.com Matthias.Heise at atlas-elektronik.com
Mon Nov 17 06:26:33 PST 2014

Hi all,

you have been very helpful so far with my different noob-problems - thank you very much.
Now I was trying to set up cross-compiling for my wandboard (finally made it) and have some difficulties to understand what was happening there and why :)
Please be so kind and enlighten me, this is what I tried :

First of all I copied and renamed the core-image-minimal.bb and added some packages, bitbaked and run it.

Then for cross-compiling :
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#using-the-adt-installer
As this was strongly recommended there I first downloaded the adt-installer, extracted it and set up the adt_installer.conf like this (the same also with a bitbaked adt-installer) :
YOCTOADT_TARGETS="arm"
YOCTOADT_QEMU="Y"
YOCTOADT_NFS_UTIL="Y"
YOCTOADT_ROOTFS_arm="minimal sato-sdk"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_IMAGE_arm="minimal"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_MACHINE_arm="wandboard-quad"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_LOC_arm="$HOME/test-yocto/$YOCTOADT_TARGET_MACHINE_arm"

Then I executed the adt_installer script, it finished but had some errors downloading images (probably as I have a "custom" machine, right ?)
I didn't change the location so that the /opt/poky/1.7 location was used. However there were no scripts added to that folder

After a few tries and half a day I found a tutorial which did this:
bitbake meta-toolchain
sudo ./tmp/deploy/sdk/poky-eglibc-x86_64-arm-toolchain-<version>.sh
source /opt/poky/<version>/environment-setup-armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi

then after pointing Eclipse to /opt/poky/1.7 and /opt/poky1.7/sysroots/cortexa9hf......
I was able to compile. (get 3 strange "infos" however : Missing PROG arm-poky... -dlltool, Missing PROG arm-poky... -mt, Missing PROG dlltool)

What I am wondering about is that this last procedure is headlined as optional in the above mentioned manual, which brings me to the idea that I did something wrong before...
Please comment,
Thank you very much,
Best regards,
Mat