[meta-freescale] [dizzy] Choppy gstreamer video (MPEG TS over UDP)

Nikolay Dimitrov picmaster at mail.bg
Fri Nov 14 10:46:50 PST 2014

Hi guys,

I have an issue with gstreamer, running on imx6q sabresd (dizzy). The
gstreamer pipeline has to play a live video stream over the network.
The video stream is MPEG TS over UDP unicast, carrying h264 video + mp3
audio. Here's the pipeline:

gst-launch udpsrc port=5000 ! decodebin2 ! mfw_v4lsink
The biggest issue right now with this setup is that the video is very
choppy - shortly after the playback starts (<10s) the video becomes
choppy, e.g. after decoding 1 frame it pauses for 2-3s before
displaying the next frame (all frames in between are skipped, so it
looks like a slideshow). Also, gstreamer is giving warnings in the
console:

WARNING: from element
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/MFW_GST_V4LSINK_INFO_T:mfw_gst_v4lsink_info_t0: A
lot of buffer
s are being dropped.
Additional debug info:
/home/picmaster/work/yocto-dizzy-sabresd/build/tmp/work/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/gstreamer/0.1
0.36-r2/gstreamer-0.10.36/libs/gst/base/gstbasesink.c(2875):
gst_base_sink_is_too_late (): /GstPipeline:pipe
line0/MFW_GST_V4LSINK_INFO_T:mfw_gst_v4lsink_info_t0:
There may be a timestamping problem, or this computer is too slow.

As I'm by no means a gstreamer expert, I tried different combinations
of queues in all possible places in the pipeline, but with no success.
What's interesting to note is that if I make a local file copy of the
live stream, it plays without the choppines:

gst-launch playbin2 uri=file:///tmp/stream.ts

Has someone seen such behavior of gstreamer, or even better - has an
idea how to solve it? Thanks in advance for taking your time to read
and respond.

Kind regards,
Nikolay