[meta-freescale] No HDMI video on imx6qsabresd with dizzy

Nikolay Dimitrov picmaster at mail.bg
Wed Nov 12 14:58:40 PST 2014

Hi guys,

I'm trying to use unmodified dizzy build with imx6q sabresd, for
testing video playback. U-Boot outputs HDMI image during boot, but in
Linux there's no HDMI image (no console, no video playback).

The image is "fsl-image-multimedia-full", kernel 3.10.17. The device
files /dev/video* and /dev/fb* are available, but gstreamer playback
doesn't output any image on the HDMI port (seems to be stuck instead of
playing).

The kernel cmdline doesn't specify any video settings, which typically
is an issue, but when I add the video bootargs:

...video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1024x768M at 60,if=RGB24...

The board stops to print any boot messages after "Starting kernel..."
and seems to be stuck. Removing the video bootargs allows again to boot
normally.

I must admit that I'm somewhat puzzled by this behavior, as I already
have daizy running with 3.10.17 on a custom board, and the video is
working there with almost the same bootargs. Do you guys have any ideas
for how to configure imx6q sabresd for HDMI video?

Thanks in advance. Regards,
Nikolay