[meta-freescale] imx:6 Poor EGL performance with wayland

Volodymyr Babchuk volodymyr.babchuk at globallogic.com
Mon May 26 11:05:05 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Volodymyr Babchuk
<volodymyr.babchuk at globallogic.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Volodymyr Babchuk
>> <volodymyr.babchuk at globallogic.com> wrote:
>>> I am trying to run some QT5 apps on iMX6 with Wayland.
>>> I have noticed that QT5 GL apps have much better performance on X11
>>> than on Wayland.
>>>
>>> For example, QT5 Hello GL example produces about 50 fps on x11 with
>>> FullHD resolution
>>> and only about 20-25 fps on wayland.
>>>
>>> Besides, wayland with enabled GAL2D support produces graphical
>>> artifacts in some use cases which involves composition of multiple
>>> windows or even one window and mouse cursor.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced such issue? Is there any known solution?
>>>
>>> I'm testing on Wandboard Solo and using dora_3.10.17-1.0.0_GA branch
>>> for meta-fsl-bsp-release.
>>
>> Do you mind to test it with fsl-community-bsp at daisy?
>>

> Yep. Just tried to build it. Wayland wants to link with wayland-egl:
>
> | /home/vlad/ext/fsl-community/wandsolo/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/libexec/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.2/ld:
> cannot find -lwayland-egl
> | collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> As I understood, gpu-viv-bin-mx6q should provide it. But it provides
> .pc file only. Any ideas?

Ok, that was caused by enabling both x11 and wayland in
DISTRO_FEATURES. It was fixed by adding "x11" to
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove

Anyway, I have created build with fsl-community-bsp at daisy. There
are the same issue.
For example, 5 instances of weston-simple-egl-client produces 35FPS
each. I think, that rendering of five rotating triangles should be
faster.

I suspect that it is caused by Vivante's wayland-egl implementation.
But I have no idea what to do with this.

--

Volodymyr Babchuk | Senior Embedded Developer
GlobalLogic