[meta-freescale] Freescale imx beta/release sd burning questions

tom campbell content at DinkumSoftware.com
Thu May 22 08:33:10 PDT 2014

I've built the Freescale imx6 beta successfully from:
      fsl-yocto-3.10.17-1.0.0-beta.tar.gz
      L3.10.17_1.0.0_beta_131223_images_MX6.tar.gz
cd fsl-community-bsp-platform &&\
     MACHINE=imx6slevk source setup-environment build-evk &&\
     bitbake core-image-minimal

I have a question about sd card partitioning.  The instructions in
Freescale Yocto user guide 4.1 say:
     sudo dd if=<image name>.sdcard of=/dev/sd<partition>
     sudo dd if=<image name>.sdcard of=/dev/sd<partition bs=1M && sync

No where can I find the partitioning requirements for the sd card.
How is the SD card to be partitioned?
Don't really understand the two commands above.  Unless <partition> is
different, only difference is block size of writes
Can someone point me to the partitioning requirements?

thx
tom campbell