[meta-freescale] Chromium acceleration

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Wed Mar 19 14:00:46 PDT 2014

Hello,

I wrote a patch for VPU acceleration in Chromium months ago for a
company project. I got the OK from the customer to cleanup and
eventually opensource the patches, but didn't have the time yet.
Together with other colleagues we also got HW-accelerated WebGL to work,
though some other areas weren't running so well (multitouch for
example). Also, Canvas remained unaccelerated. As the Chromium
developers explained, there are conceptual problems with the Canvas API
that make acceleration difficult.

What is also missing is a zerocopy method for displaying video frames.
In theory, the direct textures from the Vivante GPU could be used;
however, this requires passing the physical buffers through to a
modified renderer somehow. Chromium can use OpenGL ES for rendering
everything, but does not contain anything to introduce special video
textures yet.

Carlos