[meta-freescale] Best way (good way?) to make different U-boot for different machine images

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Wed Jun 25 16:16:40 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Stephen Munnings
<Stephen.Munnings at nuvation.com> wrote:
> Both run on exactly the same board, only one is intended to be put into the (on-board) NAND Flash and run from there, while the other image is intended to be written to an SD Card and run from there.
> In these two different use cases, we have (very) different file systems, and we would like the u-boot to be (slightly) different also.

The concept of machine configuration for Yocto Project is exactly
this; u-boot, kernel and recipe specific settings.

You can 'workaround' it and do tricks, as explained by Lauren, but I
don't advise this approach as this has predictability, consistency and
maintenance implications.

One alternative is to build upon the upcoming U-Boot 2014.07 which has
SPL support for i.MX6 and use a single U-Boot binary which has
detection at runtime at the board it is running on top and change it
dynamically. This would be the ideal solution in my point of view.