[meta-freescale] I think I am missing some critical link, but am lost trying to find it.

Stephen Munnings Stephen.Munnings at nuvation.com
Tue Jun 24 07:28:50 PDT 2014

Hello all,

I have been using the ycoto fsl-community-bsp (branch dora) to build a distribution for a custom hardware design (similar but not identical to the wandboard solo).
We have an application built using Qt - initially developed on an external host, but now being "brought into" the yocto recipe system.
We have added 3 layers to our setup.

a.       A layer for the board changes (BSP layer) - also has the image recipes

b.      A layer for the distro - and very little else - this could perhaps have been merged into one of the other two layers, but I do think it should stay a separate layer

c.       A layer for the application itself and associated support files and directories. (e.g. The startup script is in here also)

I am having two problems with this setup that are probably related.

1.        When I attempt to build the application (using Qt 5.1), it does not find the toolchain for it.

a.       I get a message about arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc Command not found.

b.      If I search for the toolchain, I find it in : /home/user/<project>/yocto/fsl-community-bsp/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/

c.       If I add this path to $PATH, then the build works.  However, I think that this is "kludging my way around the problem"

d.      One (I think) big clue is that the build creates a number of directories in .../tmp/work:

                                                               i.      all-poky-linux

                                                             ii.      all-pokysdk-linux

                                                            iii.      cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-mx6-poky-linux-gnueabi

                                                           iv.      cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi

                                                             v.      <custom board>-poky-linux-gnueabi

                                                           vi.      x86_64-linux

                                                          vii.      x86_64-nativesdk-pokysdk-linux

                                                        viii.      x86_64-pokysdk-linux

e.      I find most (but not all) of my recipes are built in <custom board>-poky-linux-gnueabi (no big surprise there)

f.        I find that the required toolchain was built with "cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi" in the path name.  I am wondering if this is at the root of my problem?

g.       I have tried changes with the PKG_ARCH variable in my recipes, but they just generally get messy without resolving anything.

                                                               i.      right now, it is: PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}"

                                                             ii.      I have tried: PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_SOCARCH}" - just made it worse.

                                                            iii.      Could not find anything else that should have been used (maybe I just don't look all that well?)

h.      There is no problem with building the Qt components (without using the modified $PATH) and they show up in "cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi"

i.         There is no problem (apparently) with qtbase either, but it shows up in "cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-mx6-poky-linux-gnueabi"  (extra mx6 in the name)

2.       The second problem (probably related) is that I cannot get the qsqlite.so (sql lite driver plugin) to build in this setup.

a.       I have added the line "PACKAGECONFIG_append = " sql-sqlite" into a file "qtbase_5.1.1.bbappend" in my application layer.

b.      There are no resulting errors, but also no qsqlite.so driver built into my final image either

c.       I have tried a variety of different ways to do this - reference a prior thread in this mailing list - How do I add the QSQLITE driver to the yocto build for wandboard

d.      I did get it working for the (supplied) wandboard build, but when trying to build for our custom board, I cannot seem to get it generated (anywhere - used find to search entire tmp/work tree)

e.      I suspect that it is related to the first issue noted above

I am a veteran in embedded software, but a newbie to yocto, bitbake, and openembedded.
Keeping that in mind, can someone offer some guidance on what might be wrong here, and how to go about resolving it?

Thanks!

--
Stephen Munnings
Sr. Design Engineer | NUVATION ENGINEERING