[meta-freescale] SABRE Lite, OpenGL ES 2.0, FBO, low performance

Osobniak Oskar oskar.osobniak at brightone.pl
Mon Jun 16 04:44:32 PDT 2014

Hi

I added FBO support but looks like the performance is much lower than I expected. I'm using two screens (scene rendered for two cameras). Without FBO I have 55 fps. After adding it (texture 1024x768) - it's only 26 fps.
I also checked different configurations:
1. "Slower" - scene rendered 4 times + 2 quads with texture:
Camera1 to FBO1
Camera2 to FBO2
Screen1: Camera1 - fullscreen, Camera2 - FBO2, shown on small quad
Screen2: Camera2 - fullscreen, Camera1 - FBO1, shown on small quad
Results (for different texture size):
256x256 - 50 fps
1024x768 - 30 fps
2048x2048 - 9 fps
2. "Faster" - scene rendered 2 times + 4 quads with texture:
Camera1 to FBO1
Camera2 to FBO2
Screen1: Camera1 - FBO1, fullscreen, Camera2 - FBO2, shown on small quad
Screen2: Camera2 - FBO2, fullscreen, Camera1 - FBO1, shown on small quad
256x256 - 43 fps
1024x768 - 23 fps
2048x2048 - 8 fps

Part of the code:

// ## rendering to texture1 ##:

glViewport(0, 0, 1024, 768);
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, m_FBO);
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);

// drawing scene

glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0);
glViewport(0, 0, 1024, 768);

// ## rendering to texture2 ##:
// (performed for 2nd FBO)

eglMakeCurrent(...);// setting screen1
// drawing fullscreen quad with FBO1
// drawing small quad with FBO2
eglSwapBuffers(...);// for screen1

eglMakeCurrent(...);// setting screen2
// drawing fullscreen quad with FBO2
// drawing small quad with FBO1
eglSwapBuffers(...);// for screen2

Do I need to change/add something or the device is not enough fast for using FBO?

Pozdrawiam / Best regards,

Oskar Osobniak, Software Engineer

brightONE Sp. z o.o.
Product Engineering Services
e-mail oskar.osobniak at brightone.pl<mailto:oskar.osobniak at brightone.pl>, direct +48918316358
Malczewskiego 26, 71-612 Szczecin, POLAND, www.brightone.pl<http://www.brightone.pl/>

Please note: The information contained in this message may be legally privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorised use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank You.

brightONE spółka z ograniczoną odpowiedzialnością z siedzibą w Szczecinie, ul. Malczewskiego 26. Zarejestrowana w Sądzie Rejonowym Szczecin-Centrum w Szczecinie, XIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego pod numerem 0000461356. NIP: 851-31-69-010. REGON: 321372658. Kapitał zakładowy: 5000 PLN