[meta-freescale] Custom u-boot machine, linker errors lost.

Cary O'Brien cobrien at cornet.com
Tue Jul 29 17:23:24 PDT 2014

We are just starting out with QorIQ processors and Yocto, I hope
this is the right place to ask questions.

We have a board that uses the p1022 processor.

I created a layer that defines our own u-boot machine
  based on p1022ds files in Yocto 1.6.

Unchanged, it compiles and generates a u-boot.bin in
tmp/deploy/images.

However,  I need to adjust the config and some of the
files, since there are differences with the hardware.

The PROBLEM is that if I make a change, the bitbake u-boot
process progresses to a link step creating

  arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc85xx/built-in.o,

which fails, probably because I have a missing function, but
There is No Error Message Anywhere..  Not with -v, not with
-D -D, not looking in the log file.  It just says:

| make: *** [CTI_NED_V1_NAND] Error 2
| ERROR: oe_runmake failed

But no error message can be found anywhere.

What is perplexing is that I can go into the devshell

     bitbake -c devshell u-boot

cd and run the exact same ld command, and it runs and
creates the right build-in.o.

Is there some sort of limit to the size of shell commands
that bitbake (or oe_runmake) can handle?  Any reason a link would fail
in bitbake but run stand-alone?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

-- cary