[meta-freescale] Draft of FSL Community notes to help QorIQ developers...

zhenhua.luo at freescale.com zhenhua.luo at freescale.com
Tue Jul 29 02:45:18 PDT 2014

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for your notes.

Please see my comments inline.

[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] We plan to add the QorIQ info in the community home page and related documents when the optimization of fsl-ppc layer is done and fsl-ppc layer is part of the manifest project, those patches are submitted and under review.
http://patches.openembedded.org/project/meta-freescale/list/?submitter=11049

> I didn't want to duplicate what Zhenhua had already written, so I
> reference his schedule instead.  If the text below proves to be too
> sparse, I'll be glad to add more.  Also, I'll certainly be more than
> willing to update the text over time as the support of QorIQ progresses
> and some of my own confusion is resolved.

> to date source of information regarding which aspects of the community
> support process are in effect for QorIQ.  A recent update to Freescale's
> schedule for QorIQ community support can be read here:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/meta-
> freescale at yoctoproject.org/msg09249.html
>
> Some of the most obvious immediate benefits of the inclusion of QorIQ in
> the community project include the ability to discuss QorIQ issues with
> other developers, build images for both i.MX and QorIQ using a common
> build system & meta data, and be part of developing and improving the
> code base for Freescale QorIQ processors built using the Yocto Project
> Linux ecosystem.
>
> The community QorIQ software is in addition & complementary to the QorIQ
> Linux SDK releases that are found on the Freescale web site.  Currently,
> the SDK release is more comprehensive and contains an additional layer
> (meta-fsl-networking) with recipes that pull source provided exclusively
> in the SDK ISO image.  In other words, the  SCM repositories for the
> meta-fsl-networking recipes are not stored on a public site and are not
> currently part of the Community project.  For these recipes, the software
> license is typically more restrictive per Freescale's terms.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] The direction is to publish all packages in public git repository in future.

> QorIQ developers should also be aware that each SDK release undergoes
> testing by Freescale developers with each supported Freescale QorIQ
> development platform (e.g., P1010RDB).  However, the community BSP images
> are not currently being tested extensively by Freescale.
> Therefore, a QorIQ community developer may be the first one to test a
> particular QorIQ development system with a community built image.
>
> Note that both the Yocto Project 1.7 release and Freescale SDK 1.7
> release are in development; the SDK release is planned to trail the Yocto
> release, and a Community 1.7 release will trail the SDK 1.7 release (for
> more details, see the aforementioned Freescale schedule).
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] According to the Yocto schedule(the end of Oct) and QorIQ SDK schedule(this Dec), the Community 1.7 may not contain the QorIQ SDK 1.7 content.

> Historically, the QorIQ family has been based on Power Architecture
> (powerpc), and the meta data for these Power-based SoCs can be found in
> the community's meta-fsl-ppc layer.  QorIQ Layerscape (LS) ARM support
> will soon be added to the community's meta-fsl-arm layer, and files
> specific to QorIQ ARM will be denoted with an "ls" prefix.
>
> Developers should also be aware that the QorIQ layer recipes pull source
> from Freescale's Public GIT site: http://git.freescale.com. It is
> anticipated that both a public mailing list and bug reporting system will
> be introduced this year by Freescale to support the activity associated
> with these repositories.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] The FSL external source mirror is also in the plan.

> All community image recipes, regardless of architecture, may make use of
> the common base, poky, meta-fsl-demos, and meta-openembedded community
> layers.  Currently, the Freescale supplied demo image recipes targeting
> QorIQ processors have a "-networking" suffix (e.g., fsl-image-
> networking.bb).

Best Regards,

Zhenhua