[meta-freescale] Improving SD-Card images

Jens Rehsack rehsack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 04:04:38 PDT 2014

Am 22.07.2014 um 09:37 schrieb Maciek Borzecki <maciej.borzecki at open-rnd.pl>:

> On wto, 2014-07-22 at 09:09 +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:
>> Am 22.07.2014 um 08:37 schrieb Maciek Borzecki <maciej.borzecki at open-rnd.pl>:
>>
> Having spent roughly 3 days with wic code, I'll try to point out what's
> missing.

So it will be smart to steal^Wborrow your code :)

>> # vfat boot partition
>> part --source uboot-imx-img --ondisk mmcblk0 --fstype=vfat --active --align 1024 --size 10
> Source pluging for building parition with uboot-imx. My original though
> was that it would be nice to have a general plugin that covers this, at
> least partially and only for u-boot. Now, I'm not sure if it's right
> approach. The beaglebone code that I posted has only one BBB specific
> step, which is copying over MLO.
>
>> # root-fs
>> part / --source rootfs --ondisk mmcblk0 --fstype=squashfs --label root --align 1024
> squashfs is not supported, needs adding

Sure - or for the moment stick at old way to build image.

>> # recovery-root-fs
>> part /recovery --source recoverfs --ondisk mmcblk0 --fstype=squashfs --label root --align 1024
>> # data/tmp partition
>> part /var/tmp --ondisk mmcblk0p --fstype=ext3 --label data --align 1024 --size 1024 --fsoptions sync
>> # union-fs for root-fs changes - howto will come later
>> part / --ondisk mmcblk0p --fstype=unionfs --label change --align 1024 --size 1536 --fsoptions sync
> Current code assumes that any entry listed in kickstart corresponds to a
> physical partition. In this case, there is no physical partition right?
> I'd say that unionfs entry should not be listed here. Maybe Otavio can
> comment on this this.

The plan is to have 2 independent root filesystems, one for daily operations,
one for running updates (with ability to re-fetch URI) and emergency shell
access.

The union-fs partition for overlaying to allow changes to operational rootfs
(to avoid dozen of r/w partitions)

>> And the crucial question is: where does the recoverfs filesystem image comes from, when rootfs is generated magically by image.bbclass?
> I'd say another class, perhaps extending image. You'd basically want a
> subset of packages/files that end up in rootfs.

Is there any resource available which describes how to do that?

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack
rehsack at gmail.com