[meta-freescale] VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed

Allan Matthew amatthew at 3drobotics.com
Fri Jul 11 14:08:04 PDT 2014

I'm using a custom MCIMX6S5EVM10AC board and am having an issue with the
vpuenc gstreamer plugin.  I'm able to otherwise use gstreamer plugins like
mfw_v4lsink, tvsrc, mfw_isink etc but the vpu does not seem to be working.
 When invoking vpuenc with the h.264 codec, I get the following debug error
from gst-launch:

 0:00:02.613795334  1154   0x389920 ERROR                 vpuenc
vpuenc.c:441:vpuenc_core_init: func VPU_EncGetVersionInfo failed!! with ret
1

Looking in my dmesg, it appears that the VPU is recognized as I see:

mxc_vpu 2040000.vpu: VPU initialized

I'm using the 3.10.17ga fsl-image-test yocto image.  I've confirmed that
this also happens with vpudec.

I've also tried re-building yocto, as well as using an imx6dlsabresd
machine type.

My gst-inspect is as follows, indicating that indeed all of the necessary
plugins are being built and installed:

root at imx6dlsabresd:~# gst-inspect|grep imx
mpeg2dec.imx:  mfw_mpeg2decoder: mpeg2 video decoder
v4lsink.imx:  mfw_v4lsink: v4l2 video sink
mp3enc.imx:  mfw_mp3encoder: mp3 audio encoder
h264.imx:  mfw_h264decoder: h264 video decoder
isink.imx:  mfw_isink: IPU-based video sink
vpu.imx:  vpudec: VPU-based video decoder
vpu.imx:  vpuenc: VPU-based video encoder
audiopeq.imx:  mfw_audio_pp: audio post equalizer
mpeg4dec.imx:  mfw_mpeg4aspdecoder: mpeg4 video decoder
amrdec.imx:  mfw_amrdecoder: amr audio decoder
aiur.imx: webm: webm
aiur.imx:  aiurdemux: aiur universal demuxer
beep.imx: ac3: ac3
beep.imx: 3ca: ac3
beep.imx:  beepdec: beep audio decoder
beep.imx:  beepdec.vorbis: Vorbis decoder
beep.imx:  beepdec.mp3: MP3 decoder
beep.imx:  beepdec.aac: AAC LC decoder
ipucsc.imx:  mfw_ipucsc: IPU-based video converter
tvsrc.imx:  tvsrc: v4l2 based tv src
v4lsrc.imx:  mfw_v4lsrc: v4l2 based camera src

Lastly, I've been able to get the vpuenc/vpudec running on the 3.0.35
release, so this seems to be something specific to the 3.10.17 distribution
on my board.

Thanks for the help,

-Allan