[meta-freescale] imx53qsb + yocto + latest kernel.

Daiane Angolini daiane.list at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 04:41:03 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 2:42 AM, ssinfod ssinfod <ssinfod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I see the uImage file in my deploy folder. The details of this file are:
>  Folder: /home/dev/fsl-community-bsp/build/tmp/deploy/images/imx53qsb
>  File:  uImage--3.14+git0+c34636a557-r0-imx53qsb-20140702201837.bin
>
> However, I think there is a problem with the
> "core-image-base-imx53qsb.sdcard"
>
> Normally, with the 'old' kernel, I write this .sdcard and I have 2
> partitions. (kernel and rootfs).
>
> Now, when I use the line PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-fslc",
> it seems that the .sdcard doesn't have the kernel in it. It seems it only
> has the rootfs in it.
>
> Is that normal ?

no

> Is this happening because I am using the latest kernel ?

no

> (linux-fslc)
> Do I have to write both partitions manually ?

no

> If so, how can I write the uImage and rootfs manually with the dd command ?

try this
https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94989

> I have a final general question about the imx53:
> Why the Freescale imx53 does not support the latest kernel by default ?

This mailing list is driven by community. The goals, strategies and
decisions made by Freescale cannot be replied here.

Historically we can note that freescale works with kernel releases,
and only provide support for those well-known kernel releases.

If this information is not enough for you, please, create a SR or use
imx.community.

> Right now, it seems to be a bad idea to use the imx53 since it currently
> does not even support the latest kernel.

The question is "is the chip what you're looking for?" and not "how
can I get support for this kernel"

There is a huge list of freescale partners that can provide to you a
shining kernel.

> What would it be in 5 years ?

Probably, in 5 years, cars will be flying. I hope they have the
teleportation prototype.

> Would it be stuck with kernel 2.6.35 ?

The "Released Linux Kernel by Freescale" is 2.6.35. It does not mean
you do need the "Freescale support"

>Why Freescale is freezing the support of
> the imx53 to that specific kernel ?

It's a support strategy choice. Please, create a SR or use imx.community

> For a new design, should I use the Freescale imx6 instead of the imx53 ?

It depends on your project, your goal. It depends on several things, even price.

Maybe, what you need is a talk with a local freescale representative.
Have you ever talked with a FAE?

Daiane