[meta-freescale] About customizing the image_types_fsl class

John Weber rjohnweber at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 11:54:27 PST 2014

On 1/20/14 11:40 AM, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
> On 2014-01-20 16:00, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>>
>> As I know it's supposed to be released today/tomorrow
>>

> Just had a discussion with developers working on Cubox-I support. They tried
> to push MXC SPL support for the CuBox-i upstream, didn't work out so far.
> Otavio suggested to use mainline without SPL for now, but I am skeptical about
> it. SPL is a very nice feature, it allows me to use the exact same
> installation for several Cubox-i machines.
>
> The way I see it, there are two options for me:
> 1) Use the u-boot fork with MXC SPL support for now, until mainline supports
> MXC SPL. Then immediately switch to mainline by applying a patch to
> meta-fsl-arm-extra.
> 2) Use mainline without SPL, and live with the fact that I need a build for
> every single CuBox-i machine.
>
> I personally favor (1), especially since it is already fully working for me. I
> could send the patches to the mailing list after a little cleanup. You seem to
> favor (2), since mainline is usually a better choice than some odd fork (I
> agree on this in principle, but in this case, I favor the fork).

Other boards are making use of this.  The guys at Wandboard worked on it so that
they could release a single image for all variants.

Why not add it to the default sdcard creation script and then make it
enabled/disabled either at the machine level or cause it to be automatically
selected by the SPL recipe?