[meta-freescale] About customizing the image_types_fsl class

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Mon Jan 20 02:12:12 PST 2014

Hello,

I am working on revised hummingboard and cubox-i patches.

One issue that has come up is its u-boot support.
There is a new forked u-boot version for these machines, with SPL
support. The way it is supposed to be built differs from the regular
u-boot.imx generation.
Building produces two files, u-boot.img and SPL. The SPL has to be
flashed first, the u-boot.img right after.

The details are here:
http://imx.solid-run.com/wiki/index.php?title=Building_the_kernel_and_u-boot_for_the_CuBox-i_and_the_HummingBoard

Excerpt:
    Flashing SPL -  sudo dd if=SPL of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=2
    Flashing u-boot.img as raw to the micro SD -  sudo dd if=u-boot.img
of=/dev/sdX bs=1K seek=42

I have been thinking about how to adapt this for meta-fsl-arm-extra. I
essentially have to derive my own class from image_types_fsl and provide
a new SDcard generation function. And to do that, I would have to copy &
paste large parts of the existing mx6 sdcard generation command. This is
not exactly clean.

One other detail, which is less important but still present, is that
these machines do _not_ expect the uImage to be outside of the
partitions. They just load the uImage from the first partition by default.

I know mainline u-boot got hummingboard and cubox-i support, but first I
want to use something that has been tested by the machine vendors.
(Plus, I am not sure how stable the current git mainline of u-boot is,
and OE still uses 2013.10).

Suggestions? Comments?

cheers,
   Carlos